Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Greetings World!

I have been saying for years that I was going to write a blog. Being a procrastinator and lazy, it has taken me a long time to get to this point. So, here I go.

I am a self-confessed TV junkie. I turn the TV on pretty much as soon as I get out of bed and shut it off right before I go to sleep at night. Okay, I actually go to the bathroom first then go to sleep, but you get the idea. I watch repeats of repeats of repeats.

Some of my first memories are of TV from when I was around 3 years old.  I remember watching the news with the pictures and accounts of Viet Nam. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't understand why the only actor that showed up repeatedly was some guy behind a desk. You saw actors get killed on one show and turn up on the next one, but not on this news show. I didn't like it. My mother tried to explain it to me, but imagine trying to explain war and death to a 3 year old without scaring them to death. Yeah. I didn't get it until much later and I kind of wish I hadn't.

Over the course of this blog, I will discuss the important lessons I have learned from various TV shows, mostly American. Thanks to the wonderful world of Netflix, I am getting the opportunity to learn new things from watching British TV.

So, this is an introduction of me and my credentials, such as they are. I have been enjoying TV my whole life. When I was sick and home from school, my days were filled with reruns of Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, Hogan's Heroes, Mr. Ed and cartoons.

Summer break was filled with these as well as soap operas, Days of Our Lives, The Doctors, Another World and Somerset. My mother watched the NBC soaps and got me started on them. When my father was off work for a while one summer, he joined us for the daily viewings. When he returned to work and me to school, our dinner discussions were a daily recap of the shows and what we thought would happen next.

I will be exploring TV's impact on my life and what I have learned about life as we go along.

Buckle your seat belt, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment